Dharavi Goes Digital!
Thank you for your love and support so far for DharaviMarket.com. We started very small with minimum investment, were testing out an idea which we thought deserves a chance and have come a long way. Dharavi Market is a 2.5 year old start up that aims to generate jobs in Dharavi, enhance existing skills of the 1000s of craftsmen living here and expand their product reach to all 5 continents.
In the 2.5 years of our existence we have,
- Grown by almost 60% each year,
- Handcrafted approximately 1 lakh products,
- Exported goods to 5 continents,
- Created around 100 contractual jobs,
- Increased craftsmen income by 15-20% and
- Helped changed the perception of Dharavi from a poverty stricken ghetto to a skilled, manufacturing hub full of talented, hardworking artisans.
- Been covered by several international and local media including BBC, Aljazeera, Forbes, CNBC TV 18, The Economic Times, etc.
Our initial basic investment was used to put the basic website in place and some working capital. We now need to take this initiative forward by:
- Creating a brand for Dharavi and giving its product an identity.
- Creating inventory designed by top accessory design school students.
- Promoting and marketing it online via ecommerce website and offline through our Dharavi Messiah campaign.
- Start vocational training programs to upgrade the skills of the craftsmen and buy some small tools for better finishing of products. (Rs 1,00,000/1500 USD will be dedicated to this Social Capital Credits Program )
We will create a marketing campaign where we will invite students and everyone interested to be 'DHARAVI'S MESSIAH.' These ambassadors will pitch these products to several small bag stores in their own neighbourhood and get a chance to earn commission on sales if the shopkeeper stocks or buys the products. Thus our craftsmen will have more stores in the entire country to sell their products along with national and international e-commerce websites. Dharavimarket.com will sell the products online on several e-commerce sites.
Our craftsmen will get majority of the share while making the product as we are a social enterprise with strong belief in fair trade.
To fund this, we have started our first crowdfunding platform. We request you to contribute and share the link on facebook and spread the word.
We have always been overwhelmed with the love, support and faith you have shown for this venture and helped us believe in ourselves. We promise to deliver again and do a great job with your help.
We were Winner of 'Manthan Award 2015' by Government of India for Digital Inclusion.