Twenty members from Super Mums of India and several husbands have got together to run the TCS 10K marathon to raise money for the Samiksha Foundation.
“Samiksha” is a Creative Learning Initiative for children with cancer and their caregivers, providing educational and spiritual support along with creative activities and play for children undergoing cancer treatment. Samiksha Foundation empowers the Children with knowledge and learning so they face up to the challenges of their medical condition with hope and dignity. This would, in turn, help them go back to mainstream life and school with pride and dignity post discharge and improve the quality of life of their families.
· The following are the programs that they conduct for the children and their caregivers:
1. Providing education to in-patients in the pediatric ward of Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology.
2. Maintaining a library on-site with books and educational material.
3. Providing Drawing and Story telling sessions as a therapeutic means of combating illness.
4. Providing scholarships to high school students who are continuing education.
5. Conducting Sanitation and hygiene awareness programs for in-patients and caregivers.
6. Providing Yoga sessions for in-patients and caregivers.
7. Improving the infrastructure in the hospital for the pediatric ward areas.
8. Organizing birthday parties in the ward every month for the in-patients.
9. A fixed percentage of the collection is donated to the Childrens’ welfare fund at the Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology every year.
10. The Caregivers (Mothers and Grandmothers) are taught vocational skills.
The Mothers running have been training REALLY hard! Some are balancing family life, full time jobs and managing to fit in training practice whenever they get a chance.
I request you to donate for a fantastic cause! Your donations will go a very long way.