As we know, the ecological concerns in the Himalayas and the rest of the world has been ever increasing due to global warming and constant imbalances in the climate. And also at the same time sensitizing people across the globe and educating them to conduct themselves in more responsible and meaningful ways is one of the objectives laid down under Sustainable Development Goals (SDG”s) by United Nations- by way of Local Solutions to Global Goals.
Thus this Project is a foot forward in that direction and takes into account 4 of the 17 SDG’s in its ambit. That are, 1. Good Health and Well Being, 2.Responsible Consumption and Production, 3. Climate Action and, 4.Partnerships for the Goals- as mentioned in:
IDEA AND CONCEPT:
The Idea and Concept behind This project is to reach out to women folks of 8 most remote villages into the Himalayan ranges, Known as The “Zanskar Ranges”- in Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir India, That are, even to this date inaccessible via road and the only way to get there is through trekking, via high altitude terrains and passes of up to 5900 meters above sea level.
Roots Collective India in collaboration with Eco-femme.org and Zanskar Adventure Point and Roots Ladakh (The Travel Partners to this Project), is proposing to reach out to these villages in order to achieve a 3-fold objective through this Travel based Project-cum-workshop, on the go.
These objectives are:
- Health and Well Being of Women in these Remote Himalayan Villages.
- Ecological Concerns around these villages in particular and The Himalayan Eco-systems in particular.
- Education, Awareness and Skill Transfer.
About Roots Collective:
Roots Collective India (www.rootscollectiveindia.org), a registered local NGO in Ladakh, that’s been working in Ladakh on Projects relating to Heritage Activation, Conservation, Education and Ecological Concerns in Ladakh region for Last 2 years.
About Eco-Femme (www.ecofemme.org)- A women-led social enterprise founded in 2010. Based in Tamil Nadu, India, pioneering the goal to create environmental and social change through revitalizing menstrual practices that are healthy, environmentally sustainable, culturally responsive and empowering for women around the world. They produce and sell washable cloth pads, provide menstrual health education to adolescents, and open dialogues on menstruation all along the way. Eco Femme is a global women’s empowerment initiative. Rising from rural India, reaching out to people around the world, they promote and revitalize menstrual practices that are healthy, dignified, affordable and eco-positive.
The project broadly falls under health, sanitation, education and skill transfer for women and youths of the region so that monthly menstrual discharge and bodily changes no longer remains a taboo hitherto considered to be a taboo. This project is a first of its kind initiated by the Roots Collective India, in collaboration with Eco Femme (an NGO based in Auroville, Tamil Nadu) proposes to raise awareness among the women in remote villages of Zanskar region lying within Kargil district of Ladakh division. Thus, this project is in its nascent stage.
Our partner organization will enrich the participants with new methods of making washable cloth pads which will not only be healthy for each women’s body but equally healthy for the environment and for the livelihood of women in rural areas who stitch them with love for another woman. All this is possible because the pads are not made of the materials used in making pads which are available in the market. The packaged pads in market usually comprise of polymers, bleach, dioxins, silicon paper, non-biodegradable paper.
- Taking the eco-sisterhood campaign into the most isolated villages of the Himalayan region of Zanskar
- To make 250-350 women of remote villages in Zanskar understand the benefits of washable cotton pads for well-being bodily as well as ecologically.
- Skill development of these women to make and use such pads made by themselves
- Implementing the ecological and menstrual well-being in eight villages of Zanskar. Name of the villages of campaigning and implementation are the following: Cha, Yugar, Testa, Tangze, Skyi, Kargyak, Shun (pronounced as Shoon), and Shade (pronounced as Sha-They)
- Travel and airfare for 3 Experts from Eco-Femme to and fro Zanskar
- Accommodation with food for 13 people for 14 days in and out of Zanskar
|The health kits and stationery items|
- Travelling within Zanskar (to be Borne by Zanskar Adventure Pint-Zanskar)