AKIRA MING is the name of my 11yr old daughter who loves nature. Seeing her compassion for all living things and the state of the environment today- for which demand for fast fashion is a major contributor- inspired me to launch a sustainable fashion brand in her name that will change the fashion industry for the better.
AKIRA MING is a 100% ethical label. Our supply chain is completely transparent and every decision we take is after asking ourselves these questions:
· Is this ethical?
· Is this sustainable?
· Is it good for the environment?
· Is it helping someone?
The answer to these questions have helped us partner with the right people who have the same goals as us i.e. preserving the planet for future generations through our work.
• We use only natural ethical and sustainable fabrics -
100% Ahimsa silk – a specially cultivated Silk made with special technology where no silk worms are harmed. We get the raw material directly from Dr. Kusuma Rajaiah- who pioneered this technology and owns the patent for ahimsa silk. We are proud to partner with him and aim to promote this beautiful cruelty free fabric all over the world.
Malkha- hand spun and hand woven malmal khadi that supports local farmers and spinners community.
• The dyeing and printing of fabric is done in a WFTO certified Unit using Sustainably harvested gum arabica crystals and custom water binders based dyes. This ensures that the processing and printing of fabrics does not harm the environment with air pollution or petroleum seeping into water resources.
• The garments are manufactured in our studio/ workshop in Gurgaon, Where the artisans and labor are paid fair wages and follow Zero wastage practices. Our workers feel empowered with financial freedom and working in a safe environment where they are respected and valued for their contribution.
I have 15 yrs experience as a fashion designer, having worked with top domestic and international brands. I am also passionate about the environment and creating a sustainable fashion industry. Through AKIRA MING, I am integrating my passion with my profession.
I have a dream of creating a revolution in the fashion industry – a slow fashion revolution that promotes ethical fashion and not just disposable trends. I would like to remove the tag of “second most polluting industry” that is attached to the fashion industry. I would like to give people the choice of safe fashion that does not harm the environment.
WE ALSO GIVE BACK!
- We plant trees against every sale, in collaboration with Scrappapp.
- We donate 5% of every sale to WASTE WARRIORS- a non profit organisation that organises and clean ups and waste management.